Copy of Student Workshops
Students should expect their interactions with their school community to leave them feeling accepted for who they are. unlearn Student Programs are designed to engage youth with access to rich learning experiences which establish a strong foundation for the development of Global Competencies. We challenge participants to think critically about their own biases and examine how they can be reinforced by media and experiences with peers. Our programs explore the mechanisms that we can use to interrupt stereotypes and challenge societal norms that marginalize others. unlearn equips students with the tools and skills to analyze the validity of information and the context of their assumptions. Our programs are designed to help schools meet the objectives set out by Ontario’s Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy.
Workshop Focus Areas
Curriculum Areas Addressed
- Global Competencies/ 21st Century Competencies
- Student Success
- Special Education
- Equity and Inclusion
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit
- Safe Schools
- Newcomer Orientation
- Social Sciences
- Assist students in their development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Provide students with a platform to articulate their thoughts and ideas effectively using oral, written and nonverbal communication skills.
- Prepare students to consider context or incorporate different perspectives to evaluate their thoughts or actions.
- Become self- aware and self- directed learners.
- Practice respectfully disagreeing, compromising or negotiating in the spirit of cooperation
- Understand and identify omission.
- Explores the complexity of local-global connections, views, values, and assumptions to understand multiple perspectives.
- Provide learners with a platform to share ideas without being "wrong".
- Engage in an exploration into their own preconceived biases.
- Teach visual literacy, design and media literacy.